Friday, February 21, 2014

Atlanta, day two

Another day of lecture.  It was not so noisy last night in the lobby, so I got to bed a little earlier.   I put my stuff in the conference hall in the same spot, next to the same people (I figured they had built up a slight immunity from yesterday's exposure to me and my ringweaving), had breakfast, and then went to lecture.  Today was everything from musculoskeletal (three lectures) to surgery, trauma, diabetes and wound care.  Yesterday as I was standing in line, waiting to ask a question of one of the speakers, a short, stocky young man with a beard noted the irony of the Pink Floyd lyrics playing overhead (after lectures) - "We don't need no education..."    I ran into him during the first break, and said, "Hello, Mr. Pink Floyd."  He introduced himself as Bob from Louisiana, and we chatted a bit.  He seemed friendly, so during the next break I found him again and asked if he was here alone, and would he like to have dinner together.  (I immediately also said, "I'm married...."  He held up his wedding band and said, "I am too.")  He indicated the older lady at the table in front of him and said, "I've been talking to you, and I've been talking to Liz - why don't the three of us go to dinner tonight?"  She and I both thought that was a great idea.  So I lined up two dinner dates for myself.

Not much to say about the lecture day itself; it felt a bit longer today than yesterday.  I brought my 18 gauge rings to "process" today because an entire day of bending 16 gauge rings was making my hands ache a bit, even with my ergonomic pliers.  The 18 g are a little easier to work with.  I got bored about halfway through the day of just opening and closing rings, so I got a few already-processed ones out of the bags and wove a European 4-in-1 bracelet for the lady on my left (Mary Ann).  She has thin wrists so I had to modify it a bit, but she liked it.  A lady at the table in front of me approached me during one of our "60-second stretch" breaks (which are more like 2 minutes) and held up the two pieces of her reading glasses chain.  "I wondered since you're doing all this jewelry, if you could help me with this?"  I had to take out two small links (it was a cheap brass chain) but it didn't make much difference to the overall length.  She thanked me twice with a big smile.  I felt flattered to be asked.

After lecture, I met up with Liz (from Iowa) and Bob, and we agreed to meet in the lobby by the concierge in 20 minutes.  I zipped up to my room and dropped off the huge syllabus and all my ring stuff, and headed back down.  Yesterday I had struck up a conversation with one of the concierge workers, a tall man from the Gambia named Talley.  He was not busy when I went to wait for Liz and Bob, and they weren't there yet, so I started talking to him again.  He asked me how I liked the stay.  I said, half jokingly, that I was a little irked that such a fancy hotel charges $10/day for internet in the room.  Mistake.  He asked me what my room number was, and I told him.  He said, "I'll take care of that for you."  I replied that he didn't have to do that, but he launched into a sincere speech about customer service, and how the hotel takes it seriously, and how "when you serve another person from your heart, that is how you touch their heart.  Like you, when you went to Africa to care for people - you know how it is."  I nearly got choked up (there's that kindness, again) but managed to keep it together.  Much as I dislike the noise level in the hotel, and was annoyed that they didn't have an indoor pool and that their outdoor pool is closed, I have to say that the people working here have been friendly and accommodating without exception.  I would come back for the service, but I'd bring earplugs next time.

Bob and Liz showed up and the three of us walked a couple of blocks to find the Italian restaurant that had been recommended to me yesterday by the concierge.  We walked a bit too far and I ran back 1/2 block for directions from the people at another hotel we had just passed (I figured one of them would know).  They redirected us back a block, and we walked into Azio's, a relatively quiet (and screen-free), dimly lit, wood-decor-intensive place.  It was quite nice and the food was reasonably priced (and very good).  The three of us talked about traveling, kids, marriage, ADD, and a few doctor things.  It was a nice meal but again I felt my ambiversion come to the fore as the other two were rather more determined talkers.  I didn't have much to contribute, anyway, but it was interesting to listen.

There was a stiff wind as we walked back - I was wearing a skort and a long-sleeved shirt, and was a bit chilly - but it wasn't far back to the hotel.  I parted ways with Bob and Liz, went up to call my family before my kids went to bed (they have a sleepover tomorrow for which they are so excited), and then I made a bracelet for Talley.  I went back down to ask him some questions (where to print my boarding pass, etc) and put two hands out to him. He took my hands between his, and I slipped the bracelet into his hands.  He initially thought I was trying to slip him some cash, I think, because he said, "Oh, no," and was about to protest, but then he looked at what it was, and said, "Oh...  when did you make this?"  "Just now."  It was a bit loose on his thin wrist, but he said he liked the way it fit, and put it on with a big smile.  He told me about the colors of the Gambian flag - "Red for the sun, blue for the river, green for agriculture, and the white - peace."  It started to get busy in the lobby - apparently there's a fraternity/sorority event, huzzah - so I took my leave shortly thereafter, and that was pretty much it for the day.  Hope I can get some sleep with all this noise.

All in all a good day.  One more lecture day, then home.

blessings

wb

No comments:

Post a Comment